8/06/2013

No Strings Attached (2011)


Breaking News
 Long-Term Non-Affectionate Sex Relationships Are Myths.
Who Would Have Thought?



I have refused to watch No Strings Attached for a long time until I finally gave in last week. I really didn't understand why Natalie Portman would choose such a pointless role right after she scored the Academy Award for Best Actress in Black Swan. I felt like it was an insult to her fans and her talent. Then again, she's the one reading the screenplays and choosing her movies. Add this to the fact that I am not a fan of Ashton Kutcher or Hollywoodian Rom-Coms and you get why I did not watch it. But last week I needed a light movie to watch and after reviewing Frances Ha and Black Swan and figuring out that Greta Gerwig and Natalie Portman were both in No Strings Attached, I thought "what the hell, let's watch this." After all, only idiots don't change their minds. This movie is a typical textbook romantic blockbuster. It covers all the symptoms. Attractive and successful leading duo in total love denial, nice friends you can't help but feel sorry for, and a happy ending that you see coming from miles away. You see it coming even before it begins as the trailer already gives too much. There is one thing I liked about the movie though; the plot goes against convention and reverses typical Rom-Com roles in presenting the man as the helpless romantic who wants to settle down and the woman as the player who only wants to use him for sex. This movie fits Kutcher or Jake Johnson but I expect much more from Portman and Gerwig. I can only hope this won't happen again in their career. No Strings Attached is an entertaining comedy with funny lines but it won't make history.

1 reason to watch it: Natalie Portman & Greta Gerwig are in it. That's something, I suppose.
1 reason NOT to watch it: it won't make your day.



No comments:

Post a Comment