4/15/2013

Persécution (2009)

Yes, it was THAT disappointing

 

100 minutes of questions with no answers




It had to happen at some point: a review of a movie I did not like! It's my job to also present you movies you should not watch and tell you the reasons why... There I was, in my favorite DVD store, when I saw this French movie I haven't heard of before. The mysterious and intriguing cover with 3 very good actors (Charlotte Gainsbourg, Romain Duris, Jean-Hugues Anglade) and such a powerful title caught my eye and I thought I couldn't go wrong. Oh little did I know... This movie was both a waste of my time and money. I won't even bother watching the bonus DVD. What happened to the movie? Did the editor think he knew better and deleted the end of it thinking we would be clever enough to guess what this is about? Was it a poor screenplay to begin with? How come such actors signed up for it... Were they that desperate to pay the bills? Surely, the editing just changed the whole story... Right? The worst part of Persecution is that you do not get bored watching it because you are sure that the tension between the characters will end up being explained by a final twist. The suspense builds up when Daniel (Romain Duris) confesses at the kitchen table that his grandfather... went to church everyday! Jesus, what a twist! For 100 minutes you are evolving in a gloomy Parisian atmosphere but Romain Duris overplays and he becomes soon enough extremely annoying. You leave the room not knowing if Daniel is bipolar or has a douchebag disorder that forces him to treat people like fecal matter. This movie sure is independent and European and somewhat artsy but it forgot one essential thing: making sense!

1 reason NOT to watch: Uh... There is no end!(?)



No comments:

Post a Comment