4/26/2013

Ted (2012)

Sex, Drugs, & Fenway Park: a Recipe for Friendship




I did not want to watch Ted when it came out because of the commercials that were harassing us every 10 minutes with the trailer. I felt like the whole movie was shown in it. Plus, the prepubescent humor did not make me smile. Peer pressure finally overcame me and I played it with a Bud in my hand (you might as well lean into it). I finally changed my mind about the movie: it is hilarious! For starters, the whole movie isn't in the trailer. Ted is kind of a UFO gathering different genres: scary scenes with a borderline psychopath? Check. The mandatory love story? Check. Action-packed scenes, sex, or comedy scenes? Check. It is a nice blend of everything that the screenwriters could think of and of what could appeal to the largest audience. It's an entertaining movie for sure with adult-only humor. In my opinion, the best part was all those references to Boston and its people because I used to live there. I don't know how much it speaks to others but the locations and the accents were delightful. Mark Wahlberg is obviously a good pick for the lead part since he is from Boston... I mean Bahstun. Seth MacFarlane proved he could direct one of the best American comedies in the recent years before showing us he could also be a great Oscar host. Is this guy ever gonna stop? I certainly hope not. I want more Boston stories! If you thought your kids might enjoy it because it features a teddy bear, please reconsider. This X-rated bear smokes pot, gets drunk, has sex with prostitutes or co-workers in places you don't want your food to be. This movie is politically incorrect, crude, and morally questionable: in other words, it is 'wicked' cool! 


1 reason to watch: if you are from Boston, you won't stop laughing. If you're not, you'll laugh at Bostonians anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment