10/28/2014

Le Fear II: Le Sequel - Interview with Director Jason Croot

Jay Croot (left) on the set of Le Fear II: Le Sequel


The Squeerelist - Your movie deals with a wide range of events that can go wrong on a set. As extreme as your portrayal of a failed production is, I can't help but assume some of it is based on your experience in the industry. How much of LeFear II: Le Sequel is actually based on your misfortune?
Jay Croot - I wrote Le Fear in 2009 partly down to experiences of my time as an actor on a film set. One example was a sound guy who was texting whilst holding the boom. With the second film I wanted to bring in different nationalities to try and show the clashes of styles - i.e. African film industry Nollywood, French Film Noir and the British film industry. I have watched many films from all 3 Countries and worked on all.

 
Some of your characters are very unprofessional. Have you worked with people that are as inappropriate as the nymphomaniac make-up artist that you created?
I have worked with a few unprofessional cast and crew. Trust me, there are a few out there but the majority are a real pleasure to work for and with. I’ve never worked with a nympho though.

 
 
Le Fear III: Le Cannes has already been announced. Will Carlos' film be selected at the French festival? What more can we expect from this movie?
We hope to head down to Cannes with Carlos - the very talented Kyri Saphiris. Without giving too much away Carlos will be taking Le Fear II: Le Sequel aiming to sell it but it would not be a Le Fear if things did not go wrong.

 

Is your movie a portrayal of a certain reality or a way for filmmakers to put things into perspective and show them that whatever their problems are, everything will be fine... Or at least better than Carlos' issues.
I read a great book called My First Movie by Stephen Lowenstein. It has many examples of things going wrong such as Barry Levinson who casted an actress who said she could ride a horse. She got on, ready to shoot the days' first shot and the horse bolted and ran off with the actress into the woods. They did not find her for hours ruining the first day's shoot, I tried to create many problems for Carlos to deal with he tries but he had his work cut out.

 
Le Fear series seems to be an important part of your career. Is there any completely different project we can expect to see you work on in the next years?
Le Fear is close to me given the first film was my directorial debut. We may stop at Le Fear III: Le Cannes or make more. We are hoping people watch them and get them and ideally like them. I have one idea I really believe is a winner. It is a film that has never been done and I can’t really say any more than it is a comedy, I’d love to make it. I really can see it working.

 
Do you have any advice to share with independent filmmakers with current production issues?
I have encountered so many problems and filmmaking is tough. I would say try to do as much in production as you can instead of leaving it to post because you can be there for years. Really take care of sound - in my opinion, it is more important than visuals. Finally vet who you work with before you hire them, I have been lucky to have a great cast and crew on both Le Fears but you can get some real pain in the butts, finally on set never panic even when things go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment