5/13/2013

Chicago (2002)


Murdering Floozies, Booze & Jazz





This Broadway musical adaptation looks like a typical party thrown by the Weinstein brothers. There is booze, music, dance, and of course heaps of Oscars (6 to be exact). Chicago takes you back to the roaring 20s in the jazzy capital of crime. I rank this movie among the best musicals ever made and it will be hard to top it. Watching it is like taking this flamboyant ride to a colorful and corrupted past. Call me a kiss ass but I can shout loud and proud that Chicago is practically perfect in each and every feature. Blazing humor? Check. Splendid cinematography? Check. Mind-blowing choreography? You got it too (my personal favorite bit being the Cell Block Tango). RenĂ©e Zellweger is a good Roxie Hart but I personally root for Catherine Zeta-Jones who is the one to stand out among her fellow cast members. She is magnificent in the role of Velma Kelly: raw, sarcastic, sexy... She has it all and shatters the big screen with talent. She gets the Academy Award to prove it. I'm carried away in the girl power whirlwind every time I watch it or listen to the soundtrack. Chicago is bold because it dares underscoring societal issues behind its glitter and idealism. Death penalty, crooked justice system, the run to fame (its rivalry and irrelevance)... I find magical how Chicago can switch from a furtive shooting to a megalomaniac staging every other frame. This musical is all you've ever dreamed of. Where else can you see Richard Gere tapdancing and Queen Latifah as a jail guard?

1 reason to watch: I'll give you 6! Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress, Best Art Direction,  Best Costume Design, Best Film Editing, & Best Sound Mixing.



No comments:

Post a Comment