5/05/2013

City Island (2009)




Truth Is Stranger than Family





City Island is a pretty neutral movie that deals with secrets and lies within families. By neutral I mean that I wasn’t bored watching it and found it quite entertaining but the plot didn’t pin me to my seat either. There is a fistful of good actors : namely Andy Garcia, Julianna Margulies and Ezra Miller. The latter being the most interesting one and the reason why I watched City Island in the first place... OK, Andy Garcia in the role of the wannabe-actor is not so bad either. The characters are very relatable as they have common jobs or activities and their fair share of problems. The Rizzo family has secrets like any other and thinks that keeping them hidden from their relatives will prevent a major crisis. Obviously, they’ll discover that their secrets are the root of their  family issues. I liked that City Island treated several topics like past mistakes, aspirations, and uncommon desires. I enjoyed discovering another part of New York City that isn’t usually shown. It’s a nice part of the Northern suburbs that is revealed : definitely another perspective of the Bronx.


1 reason to watch it : a light story good enough to relax after work. 




No comments:

Post a Comment