5/18/2013

Das Weisse Band (The White Ribbon - 2009)



Lutheran Pre-World War I Thriller




Michael Haneke tells us the story of a German village on the eve of World War I. A series of strange accidents occur and all seem to revolve around the abused children of the community. It's a visual success. A beautiful black and white picture with a nice game of lights and shadows. Haneke wins the Palme d'Or at Cannes in 2009 with Das Weisse Band. I enjoy this kind of horrid tales about the monstrosities inflicted to people in the name of social customs. The hypocrisy of religion embraces the whole community. The so-called respectable 'upper class' is obviously the worst. Explore sordid sexuality. Meet molesters. Get offended by child abuse. Haneke's analysis on the obsolete views of normal child development is rather good. Link a kid's arms to his bed at night so he stops masturbating? Really?! I like the director's approach of the century-old clarification of central topics like death. I find Das Weisse Band visually delightful and the thriller-themed pre-war plot is well-operated. But (because there is always a 'but') I am a bit disappointed by the end. I expected a clear-cut grand finale and I left the room with this feeling of unfinished business. From my perspective, Das Weisse Band could have been a masterpiece but as it turns out, it has been a little bit overrated. Every piece by a master doesn't necessarily turn out to be a masterpiece. Das Weisse Band is simply a piece by the master Haneke.

1 reason to watch it: Black & White Esthetics



No comments:

Post a Comment