6/14/2013

Animal Kingdom (2010)


The Godmother



The captivating plot of Animal Kingdom follows the disintegration of an Australian crime family. Josh (James Frecheville) moves in with his grandma after his mother dies from a heroin overdose. He soon becomes trapped in a vicious spiral rooted in his family's business. The story is set in Melbourne and is inspired by the infamous Pettingill family. Cold-blooded murders, hypocrisy, drugs and more... This movie gives me everything I need to feed my sick curiosity. From the flawless cast, I'd like to specifically mention Jacki Weaver who is sublime and ferociously sweet as The Godmother. Weaver collected another Academy Award nomination for this role. James Frecheville, the introverted pawn of the story, is a true revelation. Proof is that he went on to act side by side with Robin Wright and Naomi Watts in Two Mothers. This is a sensational directorial debut for David Michôd. It usually takes a lot to surprise me but I didn't see the end coming. My heart literally jumped in my chest. I always appreciate a story like Animal Kingdom because it's what real life is about. The Codys are obviously not your typical family but the darkness, judgments and lies they deal with define the average family routine.

1 reason to watch: just watch it, mate!



No comments:

Post a Comment